Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bow Ties

      Yes, yes I need to post more pictures but in the meantime a little prose will have to do. Silent Maid is the focus of all the professional crew and a few volunteers. We're pushing along on the cabinet work; a desk for a laptop, a set of shelves over the centerboard case just inside the companionway for all the stuff that wound up in the galley sink last season. Binoculars, bow ties, tide book, dividers and so forth. God that bugged me. but design must follow human behavior, not strive to alter it, so we're providing a place for that stuff in hopes that the galley sink can be the galley sink.
     Yes bow ties, Peter has decided they should be a part of the crew uniform and they are. I hadn't worn a bow tie since the age of seven and that was a clip on.  The arts of the marlinspike sailor are expanding a bit.
     The refrigerator box is nearly done but the task of providing the cockpit seats with gutters and gaskets still remains. The house bank of batteries fit in there new home under the forward bunks. They need to be chocked in and provision made to vent the hydrogen away from them. We don't want to be doing a maritime version of the Hindenburg disaster after all. We're refining things but the time is rapidly approaching when more people will be required to get everything done.

5 comments:

  1. First class all the way. What a gorgeous boat. My dad was a volunteer
    shipbuilder on the schooner Sultana, so I'm well aware of the blood, sweat and tears that go into that kind of labor of love. He grew up on the Barnegat Bay and would have been so thrilled to see a replica of Silent Maid having been built. The bowties are a must- I'm sure Peter wouldn't mind if you used a clip-on, would he?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I have a nice navy bow tie from my father that I'll wear should I find myself aboard. Hope to see you at the ERR this year as well as on the Bay.

    Congratulations on the Blog. I'll put up a link on my site and spread the word.

    Best,

    Russ Manheimer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on taking the plunge. A blog sure looks like a tough taskmaster but you're more than up to it!
    Rog

    ReplyDelete